Sunday, July 24, 2016

COLONY - NODES




NODES

IIIHIII 07/2016

Licensed under Creative Commons CC BY-NC-ND 3.0.
You can find more informations about this license here.


The recording sessions for what has gradually become in the last five years my "Trilogy of Absence" (MUSIC FOR EMPTY ROOMS, TIME DESTROYS EVERYTHING, MILES AND MILES OF NOTHING) spawned several tracks that didn't make the final cut of each one of the aforementioned albums, mainly for a question of overall length. To put simply, there was already a lot of things to listen to that I worried that adding another track would have definitely spoiled the broth. So I did my choices.

Obviously - according to the famous, unwritten universal law that we all know - things often tend to start in a way and end in another and what should have been a simple compilation of out-takes became with the passing of months a completely different object: during the remixing phase new ideas started to merge into old ones (and viceversa), new sounds leading to new tracks slowly emerged from somewhere in the back of my mind, new connections were established, new meanings appeared and NODES, the seventh album of COLONY, became a thing of its own, with its underlying theme and its precise direction. At least, the direction was - and still is - precise for me.

NODES is the end of a cycle started in 2010. A lot of things has happened since then. Some of them were bad and unfortunately they had a lasting influence, but that's how life goes.

On a more optimistic note, the new album of COLONY - which is already in the works - will be called YOU LEFT ME DEALING WITH YOUR GHOSTS and will head in a slightly different direction, bringing back sclerotic beats, brooding urban soundscapes, rumbling basslines and some soaring vocals too. Sounds promising, doesn't it?

If I should write myself down, I would be one of those murky characters obsessed by the faults they've done in the past and paralyzed by the fact that they cannot do nothing for redeeming themselves now. "Too little, too late", they said in certain kind of movies. Or in smart books. And indeed it is. Nevertheless, I got to find a way out. As a consequence of this ceaseless head-scratching process, more music will be produced. Stay tuned.

"It feels like a moment I've lived a thousand times before, as if everything is familiar, right up to the moment of my death, that it will happen again an infinite number of times, that we will meet, marry, have our children, succeed in the ways we have, fail in the ways we have, all exactly the same, always unable to change a thing. I am again at the bottom of an unstoppable wheel, and when I feel my eyes close for death, as they have and will a thousand times, I awake" (Jonathan Safran Foer - Everything Is Illuminated, 2002).

Always be elusive.

S.




Licenza Creative Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment